CIT Microneedling with SkinPen Pre/Post Care
Pre Care SkinPen
- Avoid Vit E, fish oils, and Gingko Biloba for one week prior to treatment.
- Avoid ASA Therapy (medications that contain Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) two weeks before treatment. Consult your physician first if you are on ASA Therapy.
- Avoid anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory drugs one week prior to being treated. These will negate the effects of the procedure. The body’s histamine and inflammatory responses are needed post-procedure.
- Avoid use of topical retinoids (Tretinoin, Retin-A, Renova, Refissa) one week prior to treatment.
- Discontinue Waxing, Laser Hair Removal, Electrolysis, and use of Depilatory creams on the area to be treated at least one week prior to your appointment.
- If you have ever been diagnosed with Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV), please notify our office. You may require prophylactic therapy.
- If using Accutane, a 3-month waiting period after discontinuation of medication is required.
Post Care SkinPen
- The initial 72 hours post-procedure are the most critical.
- Do not use any products, except for the SkinFuse product given to you, including sunscreen and makeup, for the first 24 hours.
- Use physical sunscreen at all times, after the first 24 hours. Reapply every 30 minutes, even on a cloudy day.
- Keep the treated area away from dirty surfaces. (ie.sleep on a clean pillowcase, use the speaker on your phone, wear a clean mask at all times, if applicable). It is crucial to let your body’s natural wound healing response do its work as it responds to the thousands of microchannels within the treated area.
- Avoid direct sun, heat and sweating. This includes simple day-to-day tasks such as gardening, cooking over a hot stove, sitting next to a fireplace, or exercising to induce that may induce heat or sweating.
- Discontinue use of any Alpha-Hydroxy products. You may resume your homecare products after 72 hours.
- No scratching, picking or peeling the treated area.
WHAT YOU MIGHT FEEL after SkinPen
- Immediate pinpoint bleeding may occur. This is normal and should resolve within the first 10 minutes.
- Minor redness and swelling will occur for 1-2 days post-procedure.
- Your face will feel tight like a windburn or sunburn. This is called TEWL (transepidermal water loss) which is normal and desired.
- Minor peeling and flakiness could occur after a few days. This is normal, but do not try to speed up the process by peeling or picking the loose skin.
- Although not likely, call our office if you experience excessive redness, swelling or pain as this may indicate an infection.